Traditional Khajache Kanavle (Karanji) recipe by
On the occasion of Diwali, we have joyous celebrations in our homes. Diwali is celebrated by lighting lamps around our house, and it marks the victory of good over evil. Preparation of ‘faraal’ items are a must on everyone’s to-do-list. The heavenly aromas of besan ladoo, shev, chivda, and karanji fill the air. In the spirit of Diwali, I am sharing with you all a traditional Khajache Kanavle (Karanji) recipe.
Khajache (layered pastry-like) Kanavle (Karanji)
INGREDIENTS (Outer Cover)
1 cup (maida) all purpose flour
2tsp rava (semolina)
1/4 cup heated ghee (mohan, pinch salt,
1/2 cup cold milk
food color of your choice
1/2 cup shredded coconut (dry) or desiccated coconut
2 tbsp khus khus or poppy seeds,
1/2 cup powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
2 tbsp fine rava (semolina)
2 tsps ghee to roast rava
2 tbsps chopped pistachios
1 tsp velchi (cardamom) powder
3 tbsp ghee,
1 tbsp corn flour/rice flour
Preparation of the dough
1. Mix all the ingredients for the cover and make a dough.
2. Make equal parts of dough and mix food colors in those parts, as desired.
3. Cover and set the dough aside.
Preparation of the filling
1. Roast coconut lightly until just pink.
2. Roast poppy seeds until golden .Roast semolina in ghee until it there is an aroma and it turns light brown.
3. Dry blend coconut in a food processor or blender to make a soft mixture.
4. Mix coconut, sugar and khus khus, rava, ground pistachios and cardamom powder. This is the filling (pithi) for karanjis.
Preparation of Saaran
1. Whip ghee until it turns light and fluffy.
2. Add corn flour and mix it in well until a bit stiff.
Preparation of Karanjis
3. Knead the dough well and divide it into 3 equal sized balls.
4. Roll out one ball with a rolling pin into a thin puri. Keep it under a wet cloth and flatten out another ball from the second part and then the third part. Keep all puris aside separately.
5. Keep 2 puris aside under a wet cloth to keep them from drying. Now take the next puri and make dents with your fingers. Spread 2 tsp Saaran over the puri evenly all around.
6. Place the puri over it and press gently and make dents with your fingers.
7. Place a piece on the rolling board press it with palms and roll it out into a thin puris, fold it in half, add pithi and and make karanjis.
8. Heat enough ghee (or ghee and oil in half) in a deep frying pan/kadhai. on low to medium.
9. Place one karanji into the oil and keep tossing the oil over it so all the layers open up nicely. Flip and repeat the process.
10. Fry karanjis in the batches of 2 at the most until well fried and crisp.
11. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Store in an airtight container after cooling.
E n j o y !